Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When they Say It Better Than We Do

Day 1

Sometimes there's so much crap on TV (which I watch anyway) that as I watch I can feel my brain getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Then there are these brief moments that a show will offer you that you relate to and it's so heartwarming to see your story somewhere (even if for a brief moment)that you forgive yourself for the all time you've wasted on all the crap, because you just found a big shiny jewel resting amongst it all. So I'm going to start a new list. (I know old lists are stagnating but don't worry they'll come back! I am if nothing foolishly optimistic about my own enthusiasm) So, in today's list of ' when they say it better than we do':


1. "You're the poem Liz" ( Jeff Parker to Liz Parker)


This line just blew me away. And see, it's not so much because of the characters or what's happening in their story. This moved me beyond its context. Liz doesn't even really respond when her father tells her this. She just sort of sits there and helps him organise his papers (or whatever he was doing). If it had been me, if I'd heard something like that from someone it would have just broken my heart and then healed it. There's just something so lovely in that line. I write a lot of poetry. But I always feel like all these are mere attempts at writing that one great poem. I want to be able to say that to someone. To say to, anyone really, a child, a lover, a friend, to say that you are not the inspiration but art itself, is just lovely.


Shiri Appleby





No comments:

Post a Comment